7.06.2008

This Week's Highlights

1. Almost tripping down the stairs after saying the closing prayer in Sacrament meeting today. I did a simple surfing move and glided on my slick heels with my arms out for balance. Yes, it was terrifying, and yes, I was so, so grateful I did not hit the ground and have my skirt flip up.

2. Going to my first demolition derby! Yes, it was very much a cultural experience. (Do you like how I keep saying "yes"?) Every round of smashing and crashing, each one of us in our group of five girls would pick a different car to cheer for. Just to increase your pride for the female sex (of which many of us are a part . . . sorry Brad), a woman driver made it to the finals! Once she got out of the car, we had a hard time seeing that she was a woman, but they said her name was Shelly or something. I guess that proved she was a female.

3. Seeing my dad's side of the family Saturday night! Every year for the Fourth of July, we get together to eat yummy food and play games and, most importantly, allow the men to be boys. They usually tweak their throwing arms and pull their hamstrings--when they get together, they all think they are 20 years younger. Uncle Dave brought a baseball mit that shows how fast the ball was thrown. They had fun with that, and luckily, everyone left uninjured this year.I just love seeing everyone and talking and playing. Aunt Carrie's stick game was SO fun, honestly! :) But I'm never surprised with Carrie's games--they're always a hit.

4. Tubing down Cardiac Canyon at Cherry Hill. I just laugh the whole time, because I get stuck under every waterfall and the whole ride takes 15 minutes instead of 3. One time with Dee, it took about 30 minutes and boy did we have fun!

5. Getting people wet at the Kaysville Parade. I absolutely love 4th of July in Kaysville!! It doesn't quite beat our traditional Rushforth BBQ and pool party in Downey, but it comes in close second. It's helped me not miss the good old days so much. The parade always ends with fire trucks soaking the crowd, street sweepers completely drenching everyone with their huge spray, and people on local businesses' floats dumping buckets of water on us or squirting us with water guns. All the nearby neighbors hook up their hoses to reach Main Street and fill up baby pools with water for refilling water fight paraphernalia. It's so awesome! I love how the whole community, old and young, plays in the street and runs around like crazies. My favorite moments were dumping my water bottle of water on Nate's head and running up to my friends' float to steal water and being attacked with water guns by at least five people on the float and by my one friend in the street. I couldn't open my eyes, so I was just blindly dunking my water bottle in one of their ice chests for water. Then the parade ended, and I had to wring out my shorts the whole way back to the car.

(PS: Sorry there are no pictures. I know how boring that can be, so thanks for reading anyway!)

3 comments:

newby said...

a woman in a demolition derby?! the perfect solution for our road woes. that should be the only place women are allowed to drive! ;)

sorry we missed the family party. saturday was moving day... i hate moving.

Please Pass the Green said...

i can't wait to come visit!! and don't think i've forgotten your crazy driving. just ask sam. she had her life flash before her eyes a few times. :) hey, do they have bumper cars in utah?

Alycia said...

We love demolition derbys! We went to one in Logan once. do they have them other places?