4.03.2009

Goblin Valley

Two weekends ago my friend Lori and I went to Goblin Valley for a spontaneous getaway. It actually all started with me inviting myself on a group's camping trip I saw posted on facebook. Ha ha! I thought it'd be a great way to meet people--they were friends of my friend Anna. It ended up that the trip was from last year! Joke's on me. I didn't even notice that it said 2008. I didn't feel lame for too long, because then I decided I was going to go anyway.

It was the most amazing weather . . . except for that one really windy part when our tent got blown over and our food got dirt all in it . . . but we were camping by the thriftiest and bravest boy scouts and they came to our rescue. We were out hiking when the huge wind came, so the boys (under the supervision of their scout leader) brought our tent back and staked it back in the ground and gathered up our chairs and food.

Our last night the boy scouts even invited us to eat chicken noodle soup and cobbler with them and then they performed skits for us. Most of the performances consisted of shooting and chopping body parts off and talking in obnoxious voices. We didn't know how to react at first, but as the night went on, Lori and I were rolling! Boys are definitely not like girls. I even taught them a skit. Do you guys remember the one where one person chews gum and then sticks it under the bench. Then another person finds it and starts chewing it? And it keeps going with people finding it? I thought they would like that. It had enough grossness to it to appeal to them, but it wasn't bloody.




In the picture above we're acting like goblins.
The trail was marked by piles of rocks. About half the time we were scaling down the mountain thinking we were on the trail. Then we'd stop and think, "This doesn't seem like a 'moderate to easy' hike," and turn around.








4 comments:

Emily said...

Cal and I have camped in that very same campground. And the wind got us too- mmmm sandy food! I do love it there. Glad you went!

Jacqui said...

You got great height on that Toyota jumping photo. Well done!

I love goblin valley. It's so unique.

Todd and Melissa said...

Hey, Todd is going down there tomorrow! He's going down with all the priests in our ward for a YM overnighter. It looks like you had a ton of fun! I want to go down there now too.

Tiffany J said...

What a great place! We're going camping in San Onofre this next week and it's going to be FREEZING! oh well...good times, great memories right? ha ha Glad you had a great getaway!