
Okay all you young married people, this is directed at you per my homework assignment for FHS 2570 Marriage & Family. I'd love to hear all that you have to say about how to have a successful marriage. Here are some specifics I'd like to know. Thanks for sharing!
What were the hardest adjustments to marriage?
What important things do you both need to do to have a long-term successful marriage?
Is it okay for a woman to more successful than her husband? (I'm guessing this means financially and career-wise.) What impact could her success have on the marriage?
What should your relationship be like with your your parents and your in-laws? What should your spouse's relationship be like with his or her parents and your parents?
5 comments:
What were the hardest adjustments to marriage?
in-laws
money management
division of household tasks
What important things do you both need to do to have a long-term successful marriage?
need to communicate
need to date each other
need to lift one another up
Is it okay for a woman to more successful than her husband? (I'm guessing this means financially and career-wise.) What impact could her success have on the marriage?
I think it is fine as long as the husband feels like his wife still puts their family first.
What should your relationship be like with your your parents and your in-laws? What should your spouse's relationship be like with his or her parents and your parents?
I think you need to remember to cleave unto your spouse and not your parents. If you find yourself calling your parents before an important decision before you consult your spouse, you need to distance yourself a little from your parents. I think the key is to let your spouse know that their needs and wishes will come before you parents.
What were the hardest adjustments to marriage?
your in-laws
money management/spending
What important things do you both need to do to have a long-term successful marriage?
COMMUNICATE
Don't be selfish
Continuing to Date One Another
Is it okay for a woman to more successful than her husband? (I'm guessing this means financially and career-wise.) What impact could her success have on the marriage?
HE might possibly feel like a failure at being able to "provide and support" his spouse. Keep good communication and to celebrate each other's success's and there shouldn't be an on-going issue. Being humble is key.
What should your relationship be like with your your parents and your in-laws? What should your spouse's relationship be like with his or her parents and your parents?
I LOVE the first commenter's comment. Amen! Being respectful of each families differences and traditions is also important.
What were the hardest adjustments to marriage?
-coming from completely different families, backgrounds, and experiences.
What important things do you both need to do to have a long-term successful marriage?
-communication
-need to be forgiving and also be humble and be able to admit when you're wrong
-honesty
-complete fidelity
Is it okay for a woman to more successful than her husband? (I'm guessing this means financially and career-wise.) What impact could her success have on the marriage?
-I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I don't think it should impact her marriage as long as her spouse comes first. Although I do think when children come a woman's place is in the home with her children.
What should your relationship be like with your parents and your in-laws? What should your spouse's relationship be like with his or her parents and your parents?
-They're still your parents and you should love and respect them, but you and your husband are your own family and make decisions together. If you both feel like you need advice then you can go to your parents, but they don't get to tell you what to do.
Hardest adjustments in marriage:
management of time
division of labor (household tasks and errands)
development of good communication
Important for long-term:
similar goals
great communication
respect for each other and your goals
genuine love- you really want the best for each other
Woman more successful:
This I think is a personal thing. I would say yes, but it should be discussed and decided as some (men) may not be comfortable with it, which I think would impact the relationship...
Parents:
I think you need a good relationship with them, but your spouse and kids should always come first, like Lee said.
You guys are so great! Thanks so much for all your insights. I've learned a lot from you.
Post a Comment