
Today was my last day as an employee of Gibbs Smith, Publisher. (It's officially called Gibbs Smith now, but I always have to add "publisher" anyway to explain what the company is.) I didn't survive the second round of layoffs. The whole three years I've lived in the Layton-Kaysville area, I've been an editor at the Barn, so it will be interesting to discover a new life and a new me. I don't know where I'll go (if anywhere just yet) or what I'll do. For now I'll look for freelance editing jobs until I know exactly where I need to be.
This morning was pretty emotional, not only leaving my job but leaving friends and memories. I still feel twinges of those emotions when I think about not going back to work there. But I also feel a strange freedom I don't remember feeling in a very long time. There was so much responsibility and multi-tasking going on to juggle my 17 authors and all the other people involved in the making of their books, and now that is gone. When I left this morning, there were dozens of things I wanted to tell Madge, as if I were leaving my babies with a sitter. But the books are no longer in my hands. Someone else will figure out how to organize the table of contents and where to put the new avocado photo. And everyone will continue "to enrich and inspire humankind."
Suzanne did tell me one thing that gives me solace. She said that when she and Christopher presented the names to Gibbs of those who they were letting go, when Gibbs heard my name he said, "We can't lay Katie off. She's gold." I did matter and I do matter. They just had to lay off fourteen people, and I happened to be one of them. Two editors (me and a woman named Leslie) were let go from our department.
When I finally left the Barn, after taking four loads of books, baskets, and more books to my car and saying good-bye to everyone, Gilbert stood staring at me from the field, baahing as if he knew I was leaving for good. It made me cry harder. Good-bye, Gilbert.
8 comments:
Katie, I am sorry about your job. That must have been so stressful! I am glad that you have already started your plan B and than edititing wasn't what you wanted to be doing forever. I am sure that you will find a much better job! Keep your chin up and keep your eyes open for any Texas boys! :-)
So sorry to hear about the lay-off! As someone who got laid-off in August of last year, I can definitely sympathize (or would that be empathize, miss editor?). Hopefully you got a better severance package than I did! ;)
I'm so sorry about the layoffs Katie. It's a tough time right now for so many people. I am so glad that you are close to home though and can take some time there to figure out the next big step. I'm sure there is an awesome job out there with your name on it. Things will work out. I'll be thinking about you!
HI Katie! This post totally made me cry! I miss you! I'm glad you've found some freelancing jobs—that's good! Do you have any other ideas about what you want to do now? I need to call you so we can talk!
I'm sorry to hear you were laid off...I'm not surprised though because from what you said you kind of saw this coming. But how exciting you are going to move onto bigger and better things! I look forward to hearing where you go from here Kates. Love you!
I miss you too, Melissa! It still doesn't feel quite right, like this is temporary, but I guess it'll sink in soon. One night we'll have to go get fhazookies together!!:)
Slacker friend reporting for duty, mam. I'm just finally catching up.
Mildred, I'm so sorry to read you got laid off. Lousy. But I'm sure the Lord has lots of things in store for you, friend! I'll keep you in my prayers.
I feel so naive when I finally just came to your blog reading this right now. I have been just focusing on my own life and I have no idea about others... but you are always so positive about everything. I just want to tell you how thankful I am to know you and you are always a strength to me.
Thank you for sharing all your great thoughts on your blog.
Love you and miss you.
p.s. after reading the first comment here, you might just want to come this way (Texas) and you can meet our little Eli, too... not that he is old enough to date :)
Post a Comment