6.18.2008

Seeing through Wax Paper

The same day my authors came, I had LASIK eye surgery. I left work right before 1 p.m., hurried home to shower to get all traces of make-up, mousse, lotion, etc., off of my body, and dressed quickly. Mandy picked me up and we headed to the clinic, which is about 45 minutes from my house. I wasn't too nervous at that point—mainly excited to know it was really happening. I'd been planning on it for about a year, once I heard my company offers flexible spending—tax-free money for any medical expenses that you pay directly out of your paycheck over the course of a year.
They soon had me all comfy in my booties and shower cap. I took the valium they offered me, but I'm not too sure it did what it was supposed to. Once they had me lie down, I started to get more tense because they instantly dove right into the surgery. It was a little crazy to think about what was happening, but my eyes were numbed with numbing drops, so I didn't feel anything. My right eye was first, and it went really smoothly. I do admit, it was way hard to stay staring at the flashing light—my focal point. I couldn't tell where my eye was looking until the doctor would tell me to keep looking at the light! It was like being under water and not knowing which way was up and which way was down.

The left eye had minor complications. The blade wouldn't lock into place. (I found this out when I saw the video Mandy took of the surgery. She had my camera and was in a room with a TV showing my big eyeball on the screen.) The blade is made up of two pieces, sort of like a zipper is, and so they had to push a lot on my eye to get the top piece to fit into the bottom piece. I felt that, but I first heard the nurses saying stuff like, "Am I caught or are you?" That was not pleasant. It felt like forever! My lower eye lid also got in the way of the blade, so it got a little knicked but it didn't hurt. They told me I have smaller eye lids than most. They are daintly eye lids. It's always interesting to find out new things about yourself. And then it was over! And then it was like looking through wax paper.
Here I am walking down the hall to leave. The goggles were hard to see through. But who am I kidding. I really wouldn't have been able to see very well if I'd had them off! I had to keep them on the rest of the day and then sleep with them on every night until this past Monday night. Waking up the next morning was amazing! I could see perfectly. Blurriness would come and go, but other than that I could see. It took a while to get used to not looking for my glasses after I'd wash my face at night or when I'd wake up in the morning. I can't get over it that normal people see this way without thinking twice. I LOVE being able to see!!!

7 comments:

newby said...

poor kates. i sure will miss the idea that you will never need to wear your giant 1989 pink-rimmed glasses again.

Please Pass the Green said...

we should have a funeral for them and bury them! burning them sounds fun, too.

Emily said...

Yay! that is so exciting!! Cal had that done when we were dating and i can hardly remember him with glasses now... weird. I'm so glad you made it and can see!! miss you!~

Alycia said...

That is so exciting! I can't wait to do it!!!

Sam Rushforth Taggart said...

I am so so happy for you!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow Katie! That would make me nervous, but I'm so glad that you did it. That'll be so nice to not have to deal with glasses and contacts ever again! Justin keeps telling me he wants to do it too.

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

Oh wow! How cool! Glad it's over and that you are now enjoying the benefits. I miss you!