6.18.2008

Dinner at MY Door


A week and a half ago (June 9th), three of my authors came to visit the Barn and me, and to have a sales meeting to talk about how we're going to promote their book, Dinner at Your Door: Tips and Recipes for Starting a Neighborhood Cooking Co-op. These ladies live in Boise, where they say dinner co-ops are springing up like dandelions. They know of about 50 co-ops in their area, so this is for real.

I was the project editor for this book, which means I was the drill sergeant for the authors, designer, and photographer, making sure everything got done as beautifully as possible and on time. From the contracting stage to getting the manuscript to hiring the photographer and the designer, to debating what the title should be to editing the manuscript to inputting the authors' corrections to seeing the book off to the printer . . . but wait. It's not over. Then editing the printer proofs in two different stages to make sure we catch any over-looked mistakes before the book is bound. It's quite the process, but then you have a beautiful book to show for it!! I imagine it's kind of like agonizing through pregnancy and labor, only to forget all of the woes when you see you're adorable baby. I highly recommend this book, and that means a lot. I am an honest person, especially when it comes to my own work! It is well written, hip, funny, full of yummy recipes and gorgeous photography, and oh-so helpful in learning the ins and outs of a dinner co-op!

No comments: