Too often we are scared.
Scared of what we might not be able to do.
Scared of what people might think if we tried.
We let our fears stand in the way of our hopes.
We say no when we want to say yes.
We sit quietly when we want to scream.
And we shout with the others,
when we should keep our moths shut.
Why?
After all,
we do only go around once.
There’s really no time to be afraid.
So stop.
Try something you’ve never tried.
Risk it.
Enter a triathlon.
Write a letter to the editor.
Demand a raise.
Call winners at the toughest court.
Throw away your television.
Bicycle across the United States.
Try bobsledding.
Try anything.
Speak out against the designated hitter.
Travel to a country where you don’t
speak the language.
Call him.
You have nothing to lose
and everything,
everything,
everything to gain.
JUST DO IT.
Carol gave me this poem when I graduated from high school. My sophmore year of college, I put it up by the front door of our apartment. Every time our friend Corb would come over, he would read it to us, emphasizing "Call him" and "Speak out against the designated hitter" (because we thought that was a weird thing to do). I found it as I was cleaning my room, and it brought back lots of funny memories. All of you who were my roommates at the time (Jenn, Cyn, and Em), those of you who visited, and everyone who reads this, I hope you take advantage of every opportunity to fulfill your dreams and become a better person!









6 comments:
Ah, yes, the good old days! That does bring back some memories!! ha ha!
That's great, I really like it.
I remember the regular readings, but something about the "CALL HIM!" line really just pops out as I read this to myself now :)
I heard the "lay down song" the other day, and it also reminded me of this apartment, but then again, so does weevils in flour...go figure!
Good old Corb! I wonder what ever happened to him. I remember his readings of that poem. So funny! It is crazy the things that remind me of that time in our lives. So many good memories!
Post a Comment