5.03.2008

Celebrate Sweden

Sugarhouse rocked tonight. First because they hosted the Swedish Celebration. Mandy and I dropped in, scanned the crowded firepit, noticed that money was required to eat the hotdogs (we were misinformed), and briefed the table of Swedish delights. Then we decided to go grab some real food and come back for the festivities. People were actually speaking with accents (which we assumed were Swedish), so we knew we were in for a real treat!

We headed to the cute little strip of shops where the King's English is located. It took us about 20 minutes to find it!! Ha ha. We had so much fun looking at the picture-perfect houses and are more determined than ever to buy a house up there. Once we found 15th and 15th, we parked and walked to Mazza's for some Middle-Eastern food. We splurged just a tad and tried a little of everything. The humus was too sweet—we got the kind with bell peppers and pomegranite seeds—so I advice you try a different kind. But the pitas were SO yummy and warm!

A resort shuttle pulled up and dropped off a whole load of out-of-towners. Then a couple walked buy with ears and tails on. We figured they were on their way over to the Swedish Celebration for their part in the skit. Who knows. We didn't see them again, but a lady did walk out of the restaurant next door to check them out! No one knew what to do.

This was the cutest thing out front of the restaurant. I think I'm going to bring Izzy here and tie her up and take her picture. I think she would make friends okay if I left her there. She's a social butterfly.

Mandy and I didn't really want to leave this bookstore, but they were closing so we had no choice. I think bookstores are like airports. See if you can figure that one out. I found an author/illustrator whose work I bought in Argentina. I recognized his book for the watercolors! It made me happy and sad and motivated to pull out my brushes and go buy 140 lb paper. And then I bought the book so I can keep looking at his beautiful work and be inspired by it. Oliver Jeffers. Check him out. I now own Perdido y encontrado and The Way Back Home.

3 comments:

Tiffany J said...

What a fun festival! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! I love your short hair too! Very cute!

Jacqui said...

Ya, your hair is totally cute! I couldn't tell that you'd cut it in your other photo.

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie -- I've been tuning into your blog lately. So good to see your face and read your stories. The lady in the ears/tail reminded me of a Thanksgiving Day in NYC with Farrah and Brooke. On the subway, someone in a bear suit got on and sat next to us. Such a crack-up. Be well. Alan (Minneapolis)