4.09.2010

Freedom


Interesting feeling to need something and have the means to buy it. It's a giddy mixed with content and secure and profoundly prepared. Almost astonishment to be able to spend freely out of necessity. And awe that most of my life hasn't been so. A "so this is what it feels like" feeling. It digs into my heart.

So you see, I've been rationing my tax return and buying all those things I've needed but that have never made it onto the priority list. Sunglasses, for example. I have two broken pairs that dig into the flesh behind my ears. The leopard print on the one pair is peeling off, revealing a foggy, clear-plastic frame. The black pair cost $5 at Down East, and the legs (handles?) wobble and the decorative plastic plating is coming off. So I decided to put to good use a $10 gift card and see what Kohl's had to offer. Vera Wang. Originally $34. On sale for $17. Paid $8.12. So comfortable, they're sunglass heaven!

Next is a bra. And then a pair of slippers!

I'm not used to this content feeling. I hope it will last.

1 comment:

Jon and Diana said...

I know how you feel. Sometimes you need something that you don't actually NEED, but it is good for the soul. When my mom was here last she bought me a similar pair of sunglasses from Kohls. I love them,
and I'm trying to have cuidado as they travel with me.