5.25.2008

The Back-Brace Duo


This crippled couple is proud to show off their back braces. They were really funny and wanted me to take this picture of them.:) Mom thinks she looks like a skeleton. They're trying to have angry faces.

First of all, thank you, thank you. We've loved your cards and calls, your texts and emails, your gifts of food and DVDs to keep Mom happy while immobile, and your prayers. We love you and feel so grateful for each one of you. Mom and Dad are doing much better.

Dad's been going to a physical therapist. He's not supposed to plant a garden or do any bending—basically a great way to get out of chores. But for Dad it's torture, and I still catch him leaning over to put the silverware in the dishwasher even though it's hurting him! He loves his garden, so we'll see how long the doctors can keep him out of there. His leg isn't swollen or yucky looking anymore, and he seems to be walking on it okay now.

Mom is to wear her brace for 4 more weeks, about half the time they originally told her, so that's great news! The break is in her L2, and it's actually on the anterior of her spine, not the interior, which is a lot less dangerous. This coming week, she is to start going with Dad to physical therapy. She can have her neck and shoulders worked on, but not her spine. She's taking less of her pain pills now, which is great because she's awake and out of bed more, sitting on the couch or standing. Dad and I used to get up every three hours to lift Mom up out of bed to give her her medicine, so it's nice to sleep through the whole night. I don't know how you parents do it with babies! Those first two weeks, I was so tired the next day for work. I could never fall back to sleep right away.

5 comments:

Alycia said...

Glad your folks are doing so well. The pictures of the van were so scary! I am glad that you weren't there.

Jennifer said...

What a tough time for your parents! That is not fun being so limited in your movement. I hope that physical therapy goes well and that they are able to regain the muscle tone and mobility. That's probably a big blessing for you to be close enough to help out. Thanks for the update!

J S said...

Katie! My love! I'm so glad you found me! Your post made my whole day! I love you and your cute blog! You're poor parents! Atleast they have a good attitude about it :) Anyways, I think that YOU are the amazing and beautiful and classy one! I just love you to death! See you on sunday!

Jon and Diana said...

Hey, our garden is coming along nicely, so if your dad needs fresh veggies to lift his spirits in this "no gardening allowed" time, just let me know.
Also.. I had a dream last night that we were in Asia being hunted by a blind man with a gun. Yikes!

Jacqui said...

Diana and her dreams. Had you just watched a James Bond, Dee? Crazy. I'm glad you unlocked your blog (or did you finally add me to your invited list?)

Glad to hear your padres are on the mend!